Sunday, May 6, 2012

Midnight Epiphany

    Last night I was looking at John's last two blog posts, Can Mormon Theology Accomodate Same-Sex Marriage? (http://youngstranger.blogspot.com/2012/05/can-mormon-theology-accommodate-same.html), and Ward Temple Night (http://youngstranger.blogspot.com/2012/05/ward-temple-night.html). what particularly resonated with me was what happened when he was in the temple lobby. One of the ward members presented the idea of leaving his husband so he could return to the temple and so forth. The thought had crossed his mind before but the spirit reaffirmed to him that to leave his husband would be wrong, that he needed to be patient and forgiving.
    This got me thinking and opened me up to inspiration. Being gay and a member of the church has helped me be more forgiving. There is so much misunderstanding on homosexuality within the church and all around really. Because of this, things are said and done mostly by good well intentioned people that cause me pain, but this gives me the opportunity to forgive, to be compassionate, to be more like Christ and to know him better. Paraphrasing scripture, "when ye see him ye shall know him, for ye shall be like him."
    Being gay and mormon has also helped me be more patient. Patient for answers to prayers, patient for understanding, and the patience to accept that God will make things right and fair in his own time. I went through a lot for a long time before answers understanding and acceptance came to the degree that I now have.
    I believe that being gay and mormon has helped me be more loving and understanding, it has helped me be more open minded and view the world in a different way after I accepted who I was and that that was ok.
    Being gay and a member of the church has increased my understanding of the gospel my testimony of it and and and my trust in the Lord. As with any challenge my relationship with my Heavenly Father has been strengthened.
    Last night when I knelt down to pray, I thanked my Father in Heaven that I am gay. I was filled with the spirit, with my love for my Heavenly Father and his love for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment